Food allergies stink. What stinks even more is not knowing what the allergy is leading to weeks of saying no to some of your absolute favorite foods. Goodbye cheese. Goodbye peanut butter. Goodbye chocolate chip cookies.
Hello Vegan Zucchini Bread.
With a garden producing a copious amount of squash combined with the inability to eat most delicious foods, I set out on a Google search for a Zucchini Bread that would rid me of this squash plague and give me something other than salad to eat (bleh). Though the odds are never in my favor when Google searching, I found this gem my first click- It’s not only edible, it’s actually quite delicious.
Here’s the original recipe by Fit and Fab Life: Zucchini Bread!!!! (Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
I made a few minor adjustments for my personal, less fit taste and this is where I ended up:
Allergy Free Zucchini Bread
(adapted from Fit and Fab Life recipe)
Makes 1 bread pan loaf
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 TBSP ground flax seed mixed with 5 TBSP water (mix and set aside-this is your egg substitute)
1 1/2 cups of Gluten Free Flour
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 TSP salt
2 TSP cinnamon
1 TSP Pumpkin Pie spice (or 1/2 TSP nutmeg)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TSP pure vanilla extract
1 TSP baking powder
1 TSP baking soda
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil up a bread loaf pan and set aside.
- Mix flax seed and water and let sit for a few minutes until thickened
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (or nutmeg) agave nectar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir to mix.
- Add flax seed mixture and stir to mix.
- Stir in shredded zucchini.
- In a separate bowl combine Gluten Free flour, baking powder, and baking soda and stir to mix.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture and stir.
- Pour batter into greased bread pan.
- Place on center rack in oven. Check at 30 minutes. Will most likely need 40 depending on your oven and type of bread pan (glass vs metal).
- Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Try not to eat the entire thing in one sitting.
It’s very moist and a little crumbly. . .and oh so good.